Skip to main content

The Nuclear Heart Test and The Bad Season


I turn 60 in a few months, and I guess I've been lucky healthwise, despite feeling like I was born smoking. I actually started smoking at 14 and have never quit, except for the first five days in Marine Corps boot camp when I didn't have any cigarettes. Everyone else I grew up with started at age five. (Some are dead, but no one I ever knew died from lung cancer.) No one in my family has ever died from cancer. We all get heart attacks and strokes. If you don't get cancer, chances are strokes and heart attacks will take you out eventually. I've been a light smoker and really have never had problems with breathing, no bricks on the chest, cough, etc. That could be bad because I haven't suffered for it.
I've lifted weights all my life, and I've been taking blood pressure medicine for the past five years. But that's about it. Every time I go to the doctor my blood pressure is high. I take it at home and it's normal. I go to the doctor in the afternoon and it's high. They told me I have White Coat Syndrome, meaning each time I go to the doctor I get so nervous my BP rises. My doctor ordered a Nuclear Stress Test. They shoot radioactive dye into your arteries while you're on a treadmill, once your heart rate reaches the target level. My target level was 136. You have to sign a statement saying you understand that this test might kill you. The odds are 1-2500. It's like playing a lottery you hope you don't win.
Before the test, my blood pressure was 122-87: a little high on the low end but normal for a 60 year old man. This amazed me. You would think when I'm about to be lit up like a Christmas tree and I could croak during the process, that I would feel more stress than going to the doctor for a routine visit. I guess that's the Marine in me; we are more relaxed when faced with possible death. I also noticed the nurse took my blood pressure the right way, with my arm elevated level with my heart. Not many nurses bother to do it right, and your blood pressure may read higher than it is. (Makes me wonder how many people take BP medicine who don't need it.)
I got up to the target heart rate in seven minutes. They injected the dye and I didn't die on the spot. Then I had to be on my back in something called a Gamma machine that took pictures for 45 minutes. You can't move other than to breathe. Of course, my nose started itching and then my back. Not being able to scratch takes discipline, but I didn't want to go through the test again. They sent me to lunch and then back again for more pictures. The stuff stays in your system for a month.
I had to wait to see the doctor. That's the bad part. I told my wife they were probably going to tell me that my arteries looked like a series of beaver dams. The doctor told me I hid my age well and that my heart was totally normal with no blockages anywhere. Then he reamed me out for twenty minutes about smoking. I plan to quit by my birthday this year. That nuclear test was stressful, but the relief of finding out that I wasn't going to die any second from a heart attack was worth the risk. My need for BP medicine is probably heritage combined with my age.
------------------------------
My latest novel is still doing okay. John Cullen of Clocktower has sent several copies to my old college, the University of Cincinnati, stressing what he believes is the underlying psychological statement of war veteran persecution in the novel. I don't believe that was my intention when I wrote it, but if it came out that way for some readers, that's fine. I want to thank my wife and daughter, my lifelong friends, and those readers who keep pushing the book through word of mouth. The novel is doing well for having no advertising budget.

What some others have said about The Bad Season
"a harrowing tale of a Marine vet who travels to Owenton, Ky., to help a lifelong friend but stumbles onto a corrupt sheriff who's heavily into the marijuana trade, and a thing that kills for kicks -- including the friend he came to help."
Cincinnati Enquirer


"I just finished the Bad Season. Great read. As I read I was wondering how you were going to end. How you were going to kill something that couldn't be killed. Good job!"
Semper Fi
Wayne Hughes


Amazon Bad Season
Skocklines Bad Season Signed

More on Vietnam in next update.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vietnam: The Liberty Bridge

(This entry has had a lot of comments, and I'm glad it can help bring Nam vets together or to help find each other. If you have a comment, please attach your name to the comment or from this point forward it won't be published. I've received many comments that are phony and obviously made up, submitted by anonymous submission. I do screen all comments. Click the photo to enlarge. Semper Fi.) This is the Liberty Bridge (click to make larger) in Quang Nam Province in Vietnam during July of 1968. Of the 14,000 Marines killed in Vietnam, 10,000 were killed in Quang Nam Province. (Figures in comment section show a little under 7000 KIA in Quang Nam.) This was late in my tour on July 2. The bridge had been blown once again by the enemy to isolate the Marine base at An Hoa. I was a 50 caliber machine gunner on a convoy to resupply the An Hoa Firebase. I called this the River Styx because it had a ferry boat. Once you crossed the river you entered a nightmare hell on earth cal

The Jesus Moth

Photo taken through a window screen. I had just gone over the first print copy of The Bad Season on July 22, 2006. I walked over to the window and saw this moth on my outside air conditioner unit. It was the most bizarre thing I had seen in a long time. I retrieved my digital camera and snapped a picture through the glass and the window screen before going outside in a failed to attempt to capture the moth. I contacted a moth expert. He told me what kind of moth it was, but added that he had never seen one with a cross on its back like this one. I call it the Jesus Moth, the Crusader Moth, or maybe the Infidel Moth. The syndicates wanted me to give it to them for free. They said they don't take pics from non-employees because "we would actually have to pay you for it."   Hmm, what a novel concept, getting paid for something. I offered to swap for a syndicated story about my book. They refused. So I copyrighted the entire pic (the one below is a fragment from that p

The Old Corps: Marine Corps Boot Camp 1966

BLT 1/3 USMC 1967 Vietnam Boot Camp Hell I recently saw a video of what I assume was the current Marine Corps Boot Camp. It mentioned recruits reporting any abuse right away and the DI was trying to be tough (and he did sound tough to an extent), but underneath it all you could tell the old Corps was gone in the civilian desire (political desire by people who never served) to make things easier and less traumatic for the boots. They never mentioned abuse to us in 1966 because we were abused 24/7. I'm an old Corps Hollywood Marine (that's an inside Marine joke about the difference between boot camp in Parris Island or San Diego.) The boots in Parris Island claimed they had it rougher because they had swamps. The Hollywood Marines had mountains. I would rather walk in water than climb mountains so I disagree. I entered the Marine Corps on August 10, 1966. Marines had been in Vietnam for over a year. All of us would probably go to Nam. For some of us it woul