Skip to main content

The Scary Guy Gets Mellow


People often say I'm a scary guy. My youngest daughter always tells me how all her male friends were terrified of me. I grew up rough, in the tenement Bottoms and Over the Rhine in Cincinnati. By age six, I had fought in over 100 street fights, had been slashed three times with a knife, and had broken my nose in a fight where the other boy almost died from head injury.
My Italian mother often fought in the street. She made me fight my first battle at age five: some shoeless kid wearing a womans' stocking on his shaved head because he had ringworm. I didn't know why he wanted to hurt me. I was afraid of him because of the ringworm. The kid kept pushing me. My mother came down, grabbed my arm and pushed me forward. Something snapped inside and I went after him. I punched him down fast and kicked him several times in the head with my heavy shoes. It was over quick. I had won my first fight.
My father was ox strong and a street fighter from the West End. My grandfather, Tony Marino, was a gun-toting ex-bootlegger who owned a bar at Third and Sycamore Streets. I fired my first gun at age five, a cop's gun, at beer cans in a drugstore on Main Street after closing time. Julie Montessi, the big local bookie, let me drive his big Buick along the cobblestone waterfront at age six. Cincinnati and Newport, Kentucky were considered neutral territory for the Italian Mob during that time, but still had its share of gangsters. We were Italian Catholics, except for my English-Irish father. The only grass I ever saw was in Washington Park, unless we took a rare trip to Coney Island, until we moved to the suburbs.
When we moved out of downtown, my mother mellowed out. I did, too, somewhat. By age 17, I only had four assaults (among other things) on my police record, all from fights. I had broken my nose two more times, been cut again with a knife, and had, according to the family doctor, at least seven indents on my skull that should have had stitches, all from being struck from flying objects (mainly rocks or bottles) during fights. Guns in street fights were rare back then. I loved gang fights and bar fights. I liked to get in close and use what was available. Bar stools and tire irons were my favorite. Whatever I had, if you were my enemy, I would hit you with it, up close.
A lot of people can't fight up close with weapons. They hesitate because they fear injury. That was all I needed to win.
That was my life. If Vietnam never happened, I would probably be in jail today. I didn't know any other way until the Marines. It's funny how the Marine Corps shows you how to be a killer while teaching loyalty and a respect for all life. I was the top killing blow bayonet fighter in my three-platoon series in boot camp. I guess I would have made a good front line Roman soldier. (The picture above is Over The Rhine in Cincinnati pretty much like it was when I was a kid.)
It comes out in my writing. Michael In Hell (currently out of print but an e-book) is a tragic record of what could have been my life had I gone the way of my childhood.
The Bad Season is a glimpse of my good side facing ultimate evil.
Driving With Ace (currently out of print but an e-book) and my just completed manuscript, Lord Of Homicides, are bizarre comic studies of our absurd human condition.
I'm currently working on the sequel to Michael In Hell with the working title Infamis, in Latin it basically means the social dead. This continues the tragedy of serial killer Michael Tucker (his face dyed red from the neck up) and his life as a state executioner for the psychotic Warden Burdeck in my fictional world of 2007.
My fighting days are long over. I turn 60 this year. I'm the oldest male left in my Italian family. I never did consider myself to be scary looking. I get along great with children (probably because I've never grown up), my wife thinks I'm a big funny kid, as do my children and grandchildren. My neighbors know me as the writer with red boxing heavy bag hanging on the porch. I guess I'm just a scary guy who laughs a lot.

Comments

  1. Is this story real and if so did you know Screw and the people he worked witn? if you did I would love to hear from you. cathy41311@yahoo.com
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not personally know Screw. I was too young, but I did hang with his nephew Jimmy Andriola for a time. He was a little older than me. Him and Jim Milazzo used to hang at a place in Cheviot named Gay Nineties. I would go with them sometimes or to the track with them.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:12 AM

    Yes I believe it is all real.
    And all your friends think you are weird but still a nice guy
    Cincinnati Carol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Vietnam: The Liberty Bridge

(This entry has had a lot of comments, and I'm glad it can help bring Nam vets together or to help find each other. If you have a comment, please attach your name to the comment or from this point forward it won't be published. I've received many comments that are phony and obviously made up, submitted by anonymous submission. I do screen all comments. Click the photo to enlarge. Semper Fi.) This is the Liberty Bridge (click to make larger) in Quang Nam Province in Vietnam during July of 1968. Of the 14,000 Marines killed in Vietnam, 10,000 were killed in Quang Nam Province. (Figures in comment section show a little under 7000 KIA in Quang Nam.) This was late in my tour on July 2. The bridge had been blown once again by the enemy to isolate the Marine base at An Hoa. I was a 50 caliber machine gunner on a convoy to resupply the An Hoa Firebase. I called this the River Styx because it had a ferry boat. Once you crossed the river you entered a nightmare hell on earth cal

The Jesus Moth

Photo taken through a window screen. I had just gone over the first print copy of The Bad Season on July 22, 2006. I walked over to the window and saw this moth on my outside air conditioner unit. It was the most bizarre thing I had seen in a long time. I retrieved my digital camera and snapped a picture through the glass and the window screen before going outside in a failed to attempt to capture the moth. I contacted a moth expert. He told me what kind of moth it was, but added that he had never seen one with a cross on its back like this one. I call it the Jesus Moth, the Crusader Moth, or maybe the Infidel Moth. The syndicates wanted me to give it to them for free. They said they don't take pics from non-employees because "we would actually have to pay you for it."   Hmm, what a novel concept, getting paid for something. I offered to swap for a syndicated story about my book. They refused. So I copyrighted the entire pic (the one below is a fragment from that p

The Old Corps: Marine Corps Boot Camp 1966

BLT 1/3 USMC 1967 Vietnam Boot Camp Hell I recently saw a video of what I assume was the current Marine Corps Boot Camp. It mentioned recruits reporting any abuse right away and the DI was trying to be tough (and he did sound tough to an extent), but underneath it all you could tell the old Corps was gone in the civilian desire (political desire by people who never served) to make things easier and less traumatic for the boots. They never mentioned abuse to us in 1966 because we were abused 24/7. I'm an old Corps Hollywood Marine (that's an inside Marine joke about the difference between boot camp in Parris Island or San Diego.) The boots in Parris Island claimed they had it rougher because they had swamps. The Hollywood Marines had mountains. I would rather walk in water than climb mountains so I disagree. I entered the Marine Corps on August 10, 1966. Marines had been in Vietnam for over a year. All of us would probably go to Nam. For some of us it woul