Skip to main content

Vietnam: Psychic Precognition and the 122 Rocket Attack

A rocket attack at Camp Books. Read comment below
 from Mark Harms about this and other attacks.
Near the finish of my Vietnam tour, I was with B Company 7th Motors at the north end of a small firebase called Camp Books. We were separated from the main base by water, pretty much isolating our group except for an access road. I had it good by Vietnam standards, compared to when I was with the grunt battalion. We had plywood buildings to sleep in when we weren't in fighting holes. Every other building had a bunker. The problem was I spent most nights in a perimeter fighting hole.

While with B Company, I was on the receiving end of at least 300 rockets. The 122mm rocket is a killer. The enemy still uses it on our troops in Iraq today. You just don't hear about it much. The 122 is six feet long and carries a 40 pound TNT warhead up to six miles, fired from portable launchers. The 122 is unstable and cannot be set to strike a specific target. They aim it in the general direction and hope to kill you. Many times they did. The rocket can be set for a delay, an airburst, or set to dig in several feet before exploding. The blast always goes forward during an impact, but the blast concussion can also cause severe damage or death.
(The picture above shows the result of a plywood building after being hit with a 122 rocket. The result was one KIA Marines and several wounded. Click photo to enlarge.)

At night, a 122 rocket launch will begin with an orange glow, usually about one mile away. It's about the same as if you were firing bottle rockets only a lot bigger. They sound like a freight train coming with an added evil whoosh noise. All you can do is hope they pass over you. If the freight train whoosh noise stops before you can hear the sound of its passing, you could be in major trouble because it's on top of you. (There is truth to the old saying that you never hear the one that gets you, but it doesn't apply to the 122 rocket.) It may be true for artillery and mortars, but rockets are a bit slower and you always hear them coming. The worst part is not being able to strike back. You get a total helpless feeling mixed with homicidal anger. You have to cringe into a ball and hope the rocket doesn't hit near you.
One night around two in the morning in June 1968, I was in the plywood barracks. I awoke in sudden panic, as if I had been plugged into an electric outlet. I didn't know what had happened. I couldn't shake it. Then, I knew. I ran out to the perimeter where my best friend, Chuck Searles, stood watch in a fighting hole. I told him we were about to be hit and to stay alert. I went to every perimeter fighting hole. They thought I was nuts. Then I ran back to the barracks and started waking everyone. Some of them wanted to shoot me.
About three minutes later, the first orange glow lit up the jungle as a rocket launched. An empty bunker took a direct hit (those marines had gone farther north that day) and we had barracks and truck damage, but no deaths because everyone was up and dug in. Most of the barrage passed over us to the main base where marines from the picture above were killed. We expected a ground assault to follow, but by then we were prepared for it. It never came that night. B Company thought I was Mr. Wizard or something. I can't explain how I knew about the rocket attack. It was my first severe experience with psychic precognition.

A Marine on The Bad Season
"Dennis, I just finished the Bad Season. Great read. As I read I was wondering how you were going to end. How you were going to kill something that couldn't be killed. Good job!"
Semper Fi
Wayne Hughes

Pacific Rhythm And Blues

The place to go from the coast. All kinds of interesting stuff.
 

Comments

  1. Anonymous4:08 AM

    I know this hootch. I am the one that removed it and built the new hootch . I am the Sea Bee Builder from AWC#5 at Camp Books . This was from the rocket attack on the morning of June 15 .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. I wasn't sure of the exact date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Harms4:28 AM

      I was at Camp Books from May 5, 1968 to April 1969 with AWC#5. I was involved in the clean up and rebuilding of every building that was blown up at Camp Books, and Camp Reasoner and even up to Hi Van pass. We were just a small teem of Sea Bees attached to 1st Mar Div ( 15 men) . On July 24th 1968 we took a direct hit from a 122 rocket. Seven of my team mates were medivaced , I was under medical observation for seven days for concussion and was then able to return to work. I have pictures of some of the rocket damage and have been able to get after action reports for 21 rocket attacks on Books during the time I was there. The hootch in your picture had one marine killed and several wounded . It was one of the messy ones . I found a finger , a kidney and about 2 feet of intestine. There was a lot of flesh splatterd all over. Nothing salvageable. Craig Taylor and I tore it all down then my Vietnamese Carpenters and I build a new hootch there.( I have pictures of building that new hootch . It's been a lot of years but the memories are as clear as if it just happened. Thank you for responding to my post . Mark Harms AWC#5 Camp Books Vietnam My E mail konohikimark@hotmail.com

      Delete
    2. Hi, Mark: Thanks for your comment. I'm never quite sure of the dates because I didn't keep track of them at the time. Your information is helpful in providing the history of the attacks. There are several other B Company Marines who will also be interested in your comments. Thanks again.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Vietnam: The Liberty Bridge

(This entry has had a lot of comments, and I'm glad it can help bring Nam vets together or to help find each other. If you have a comment, please attach your name to the comment or from this point forward it won't be published. I've received many comments that are phony and obviously made up, submitted by anonymous submission. I do screen all comments. Click the photo to enlarge. Semper Fi.) This is the Liberty Bridge (click to make larger) in Quang Nam Province in Vietnam during July of 1968. Of the 14,000 Marines killed in Vietnam, 10,000 were killed in Quang Nam Province. (Figures in comment section show a little under 7000 KIA in Quang Nam.) This was late in my tour on July 2. The bridge had been blown once again by the enemy to isolate the Marine base at An Hoa. I was a 50 caliber machine gunner on a convoy to resupply the An Hoa Firebase. I called this the River Styx because it had a ferry boat. Once you crossed the river you entered a nightmare hell on earth cal

The Jesus Moth

Photo taken through a window screen. I had just gone over the first print copy of The Bad Season on July 22, 2006. I walked over to the window and saw this moth on my outside air conditioner unit. It was the most bizarre thing I had seen in a long time. I retrieved my digital camera and snapped a picture through the glass and the window screen before going outside in a failed to attempt to capture the moth. I contacted a moth expert. He told me what kind of moth it was, but added that he had never seen one with a cross on its back like this one. I call it the Jesus Moth, the Crusader Moth, or maybe the Infidel Moth. The syndicates wanted me to give it to them for free. They said they don't take pics from non-employees because "we would actually have to pay you for it."   Hmm, what a novel concept, getting paid for something. I offered to swap for a syndicated story about my book. They refused. So I copyrighted the entire pic (the one below is a fragment from that p

The Old Corps: Marine Corps Boot Camp 1966

BLT 1/3 USMC 1967 Vietnam Boot Camp Hell I recently saw a video of what I assume was the current Marine Corps Boot Camp. It mentioned recruits reporting any abuse right away and the DI was trying to be tough (and he did sound tough to an extent), but underneath it all you could tell the old Corps was gone in the civilian desire (political desire by people who never served) to make things easier and less traumatic for the boots. They never mentioned abuse to us in 1966 because we were abused 24/7. I'm an old Corps Hollywood Marine (that's an inside Marine joke about the difference between boot camp in Parris Island or San Diego.) The boots in Parris Island claimed they had it rougher because they had swamps. The Hollywood Marines had mountains. I would rather walk in water than climb mountains so I disagree. I entered the Marine Corps on August 10, 1966. Marines had been in Vietnam for over a year. All of us would probably go to Nam. For some of us it woul