Skip to main content

Why I'm Not Allowed To Groom The Dog





(This is an article I wrote in 2007. Scarlet has since passed from cancer at age 10 and we miss her very much. This is sort of a tribute to her and helps us keep her memory alive in pictures. It also shows the importance of having proper grooming tools. So, following political examples, I take no blame for how much I goofed up while grooming the dog.)
We have a list in our house of things I'm not allowed to do. I'm not allowed to touch the laundry. I can't cook, run the dishwasher, iron clothes, fix anything that breaks because I slam it or beat on it, and now I'm not allowed to groom the dog. Genetics made me a hunter-gatherer. It's not my fault. Like a male lion, I growl and stumble to the food, provide protection, and pretty much stay in a prone position. My wife likes it that way because objects remain intact.

Last year we took our dog Scarlet (Australian-Shepherd mixed) to a groomer. They charged 70.00 and didn't do anything I could see except douse her with stinky perfume. She has triple-canopy hair, and once the weather warms, her armor begins to shed in piles. I bought electric clippers and did a good job of removing three bags of hair. But I fried the clippers. So I wasn't allowed to buy a new set of clippers. My wife said she would buy them. (Before picture above)
She bought me battery operated clippers, and this year I went to work on the dog. You have to plug them in to recharge. It's a lame system for a hunter-gatherer. The battery started to go after about twenty minutes. I had to recharge it for at least an hour to make it work for five minutes. By the time my wife came home I wasn't half finished. I called her to warn her Scarlet looked different. It didn't matter that she had bought inferior sissy clippers when I need industrial strength sheep shears. When she saw Scarlet, she collapsed to a sitting position, and Scarlet looked depressed and kept her head in my wife's lap, whining. I was the cursed one.
I didn't know what to do so I offered to cook dinner, and that made her jump up fast. (Scarlet after my cut job below. My wife is on the phone telling our daughter about the nightmare I had created. Click to make larger.)













We ended up taking her to a different groomer. They did a great job for another 70.00. My wife said that I was the big topic as the professional groomers tried to figure out what I did. All the customers had a great time at my expense. Things are back to normal. I'm a lounging lion, the dog is happy, and my wife is happy (but still shakes her head when she looks at me.) With Spring coming, all I have to do now is figure out how I can screw the yard up so bad that my wife will cut the grass. Then I will be a true hunter-gatherer.

(Scarlet after groomer below. Enlarge to see four military type hashmarks on her that the groomers couldn't remove. I tried using scissors at one point.)

Comments

  1. LOL! An impressive stategy, Dennis. My husband has a similar tactic, but he's closer to a southern belle type. "Oh my, Miss Fran, what ever am I to do with this power drill?"

    Beautiful dog, btw. I'd keep that groomer on speed dial if I were you. ;-)

    Best,
    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:58 AM

    Hey Dennis
    That reminds me of the time my neighbor kid and I decided that we were going to cut Grandson Steven Jrs Hair.He had a full head of hair so we had a lot to work with so I thought.
    Until he said Grandma Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease take me to the hair place well
    It 8:45 and I hurriedly called and they said bring him in so we rushed down there
    And yes he got a Burr by the time they were done evening him out
    So now whenever his hair starts growing out we are forever reminded about the time I tried to cut his hair
    Which will never happen again for sure LOL
    P.S nice looking dog
    Cincinnati Carol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Vietnam: The Liberty Bridge

(This entry has had a lot of comments, and I'm glad it can help bring Nam vets together or to help find each other. If you have a comment, please attach your name to the comment or from this point forward it won't be published. I've received many comments that are phony and obviously made up, submitted by anonymous submission. I do screen all comments. Click the photo to enlarge. Semper Fi.) This is the Liberty Bridge (click to make larger) in Quang Nam Province in Vietnam during July of 1968. Of the 14,000 Marines killed in Vietnam, 10,000 were killed in Quang Nam Province. (Figures in comment section show a little under 7000 KIA in Quang Nam.) This was late in my tour on July 2. The bridge had been blown once again by the enemy to isolate the Marine base at An Hoa. I was a 50 caliber machine gunner on a convoy to resupply the An Hoa Firebase. I called this the River Styx because it had a ferry boat. Once you crossed the river you entered a nightmare hell on earth cal

The Jesus Moth

Photo taken through a window screen. I had just gone over the first print copy of The Bad Season on July 22, 2006. I walked over to the window and saw this moth on my outside air conditioner unit. It was the most bizarre thing I had seen in a long time. I retrieved my digital camera and snapped a picture through the glass and the window screen before going outside in a failed to attempt to capture the moth. I contacted a moth expert. He told me what kind of moth it was, but added that he had never seen one with a cross on its back like this one. I call it the Jesus Moth, the Crusader Moth, or maybe the Infidel Moth. The syndicates wanted me to give it to them for free. They said they don't take pics from non-employees because "we would actually have to pay you for it."   Hmm, what a novel concept, getting paid for something. I offered to swap for a syndicated story about my book. They refused. So I copyrighted the entire pic (the one below is a fragment from that p

The Old Corps: Marine Corps Boot Camp 1966

BLT 1/3 USMC 1967 Vietnam Boot Camp Hell I recently saw a video of what I assume was the current Marine Corps Boot Camp. It mentioned recruits reporting any abuse right away and the DI was trying to be tough (and he did sound tough to an extent), but underneath it all you could tell the old Corps was gone in the civilian desire (political desire by people who never served) to make things easier and less traumatic for the boots. They never mentioned abuse to us in 1966 because we were abused 24/7. I'm an old Corps Hollywood Marine (that's an inside Marine joke about the difference between boot camp in Parris Island or San Diego.) The boots in Parris Island claimed they had it rougher because they had swamps. The Hollywood Marines had mountains. I would rather walk in water than climb mountains so I disagree. I entered the Marine Corps on August 10, 1966. Marines had been in Vietnam for over a year. All of us would probably go to Nam. For some of us it woul