Skip to main content

Real Origins of Ghosts: Part 9 The Bruce Avenue House Ghosts




Something I couldn't see shared the house with me that summer.

Origin of Ghosts: Part 9

The Bruce Avenue House Ghosts

     I began to look at the house with a slightly askew perspective when I knew it had ghosts. I mentioned it to very few people. I never said much to Steve about it after Frank moved out. He just refused to believe anything about ghosts. I did ask one of the two girls downstairs. They spent a lot of time chanting and had meetings in their apartments each Sunday with several other girls. A few of them were what I considered very attractive. I just wasn't interested because they were all too weird, and that kind of weird meant trouble for a man. They all chanted, burned incense, and knocked things over. They also ignored where they parked and often blocked driveways so neighbors couldn't get out. They were always getting parking tickets, and a few times the police came to the door to make one of them move a car. They claimed to be a Buddhist group, but I figured they were more of a witch coven. I asked one of them, her name was Vesta,  if they had experienced anything weird in the house.

"Like what?" she said.

"Footsteps, weird smells, or thumps."

"No," she said. "Why have you?"

"Yes," I said. "All the time."

Her eyes went narrow and she touched my wrist for a moment.

"You know you are a warlock, don't you?"

I laughed about that.

"What exactly is that?"

"You're a male witch," she said. "You have powers."

She turned away and entered her apartment. After that, when I saw her or the other girl, or any of their Sunday guests, they all stared at me like I was an enemy. If someone asked me or Steve why we didn't hit on them, we either said they liked girls, or messing with someone where you live does nothing but cause problems.

The girls moved out a month later. I never found out why. The first floor remained vacant the rest of the time I was there, and neighbors could get out of their driveways on Sunday once again.

 

If I'm a warlock, it has never given me any special powers I could use at will, except maybe to experience ghosts and a few other things I can't control, like premonitions. The bizarre became regular for me in that house. It was 1987, a year of the locust in Cincinnati. Every seventeen years they swarmed into town and drove everyone nuts with the noise and their dead bodies getting into everything. I lost track of many days during that time.

At night I usually went out or worked part time singing in a band or kind of as a DJ/bouncer in a local bar. But often during the day I would wake up at five in the morning and then it would be four in the afternoon and it had seemed like only a few minutes had passed and I couldn't remember what I had done all day. I had just been service-connected for PTSD, and I thought maybe it was part of my war experience causing memory lapse. But I believe, since it only happened while I lived in that house, that the house had caused it.

I hated coming home at night alone. Each time I mounted the stairs to the attic rooms, I would get a chill up my back and a sense of being watched. That drifting piss smell would often hit me as soon as I opened the door to my room. The closet door in the vacant attic room was unlocked and open each day. I continued to close and lock it, but I just left the key in the lock then because it didn't seem to matter. It would be open every morning. I often heard thumps and scraping sounds in the vacant attic room when the air was off, but when I checked I found nothing except the handprints up on the wall. Something continued to run up the stairs to scratch at my door. The door was all scratched up.

The power to my room should have been placed on a separate line from the rest of the house, but it wasn't wired that way. Often during hot summer nights, if I turned on a light, the overload would kick the circuit breaker in the basement. The entire house would go black. The first time it happened I couldn't find the flashlight and had to go down three flights with a candle. Steve was home and went with me so I could show him the circuit box when I found it. It was like being in a horror movie with the dead quiet and the pitch dark. Steve never went into the basement again. Since it was my room causing the problem, I had to reset the breakers.

This was also the first incident, since a hand grabbed me as a small child, that something touched me. I had been coming down the steps one day when something jerked my hair from behind. It wasn't a hard pull, but enough to let me know the ghost was real. I also had problems with sleeping on the bed because something would lay down next to me. I could feel the movement of a body sit on the edge of the bed and then stretch out next to me. No matter how many times this happened, it was always a surprise. I would quickly roll over to face it or jump up. Nothing would be there. It was a crazy way to live, but more things would begin to happen the longer I lived there.


I sing Nice & Easy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vietnam: The Liberty Bridge

(This entry has had a lot of comments, and I'm glad it can help bring Nam vets together or to help find each other. If you have a comment, please attach your name to the comment or from this point forward it won't be published. I've received many comments that are phony and obviously made up, submitted by anonymous submission. I do screen all comments. Click the photo to enlarge. Semper Fi.) This is the Liberty Bridge (click to make larger) in Quang Nam Province in Vietnam during July of 1968. Of the 14,000 Marines killed in Vietnam, 10,000 were killed in Quang Nam Province. (Figures in comment section show a little under 7000 KIA in Quang Nam.) This was late in my tour on July 2. The bridge had been blown once again by the enemy to isolate the Marine base at An Hoa. I was a 50 caliber machine gunner on a convoy to resupply the An Hoa Firebase. I called this the River Styx because it had a ferry boat. Once you crossed the river you entered a nightmare hell on earth cal

The Jesus Moth

Photo taken through a window screen. I had just gone over the first print copy of The Bad Season on July 22, 2006. I walked over to the window and saw this moth on my outside air conditioner unit. It was the most bizarre thing I had seen in a long time. I retrieved my digital camera and snapped a picture through the glass and the window screen before going outside in a failed to attempt to capture the moth. I contacted a moth expert. He told me what kind of moth it was, but added that he had never seen one with a cross on its back like this one. I call it the Jesus Moth, the Crusader Moth, or maybe the Infidel Moth. The syndicates wanted me to give it to them for free. They said they don't take pics from non-employees because "we would actually have to pay you for it."   Hmm, what a novel concept, getting paid for something. I offered to swap for a syndicated story about my book. They refused. So I copyrighted the entire pic (the one below is a fragment from that p

The Old Corps: Marine Corps Boot Camp 1966

BLT 1/3 USMC 1967 Vietnam Boot Camp Hell I recently saw a video of what I assume was the current Marine Corps Boot Camp. It mentioned recruits reporting any abuse right away and the DI was trying to be tough (and he did sound tough to an extent), but underneath it all you could tell the old Corps was gone in the civilian desire (political desire by people who never served) to make things easier and less traumatic for the boots. They never mentioned abuse to us in 1966 because we were abused 24/7. I'm an old Corps Hollywood Marine (that's an inside Marine joke about the difference between boot camp in Parris Island or San Diego.) The boots in Parris Island claimed they had it rougher because they had swamps. The Hollywood Marines had mountains. I would rather walk in water than climb mountains so I disagree. I entered the Marine Corps on August 10, 1966. Marines had been in Vietnam for over a year. All of us would probably go to Nam. For some of us it woul